My Complete Curriculum Vitae
Roland Morley MBBS, FRCS, FRCS (Urol)
Subspecialist Consultant Urologist for
Female and Functional and Reconstructive Urology
Imperial College Healthcare NHS trust
Expert Advisor to NICE and NHS England
Consultant Urologist, Imperial College Healthcare London - October 2015 onwards
Subspecialist in Female Urology and Benign and Gender Reconstruction with Paediatric Urology
St George’s Hospital Medical School 1977 - 1982
Surgeon Lieutenant Commander - Royal Navy August 1979 – October 1987
Consultant Urologist, Kingston Hospital April 1998 – October 2015
Divisional Director of Surgery/Critical Care February 2012 - February 2014
Director of Medical Education March 2009 – March 2012
Clinical Lead Urology 2006 – 2012
DIVISONAL DIRECTOR OF SURGERY ANAESTHETICS AND CRITICIAL CARE[2012-2014]
My role as Divisional Director included all surgical disciplines including anaesthetics with a budget of £54M. My tasks were to maintain safety and clinical standards together with streamlining surgical services, improving theatres and day case surgery, developing networked services and maintaining our cost improvement programme in a difficult NHS financial climate. This included maintaining standards of training.
CLINICAL GOVERNANCE AND NATIONAL ROLE FOR SETTING QUALITY ASSURANCE AND GOVERNANCE STANDARDS
National Institute Clinical Excellence (NICE): I have completed my term on the New Devices Committee that reports to NICE and as an external assessor for NICE in relation to devices and invasive therapies for incontinence.
CHAIR FOR THE BRITISH ASSOCIATION OF UROLOGICAL SURGEONS (BAUS) SECTION OF FEMALE UROLOGY NEUROLOGY AND URODYNAMICS (SFNNU)
1. I was Secretary of the BAUS Female Urology and Reconstruction 2010 -2013.
2. I was Chair for 2013- 2016 and I am a member of BAUS Council.
3. I chaired the subcommittee on information and consent for the NHS England Review of the use of mesh for prolapse and urinary incontinence surgery that reported in 2016. I am on the NHS Advisory Committee for the Cumberlege Mesh Review .
CHAIR SPECIALIST ADVISORY COMMITTEE UROLOGY
Overseeing all Urological Training in the United Kingdom
Chair - 2016 – 2019
Vice Chair 2013 - 2016
Curriculum Lead 2014 -2019
CHAIR JOINT COMMITTEE ON SURGICAL TRAINING QUALITY AND ASSURANCE
ROYAL SOCIETY OF MEDICINE (RSM) – SECTION OF UROLOGY
1. I am a council member and Past Senior Secretary of the RSM Section of Urology.
2. Past President for the Urology Section of the RSM for 2017/2018.
CHAIR UNITED KINGDOM CONTINENCE SOCIETY 2017 - 2022
Produced minimum standards on continence care for commissioners 2016
Produced with subcommittee ( chaired by Prof P Abrams) Standards for Urodynamic Assessment adopted internationally and published in Neurology and Urodynamics November 2018
Developing Minimum standards for Urodynamics units - due for publication late 2019
PAEDIATRIC CRITICAL CARE AND SPECIALISED SURGERY IN CHILDREN REVIEW – NHS ENGLAND 2018 – 2020
Urology Representative . Guidance published February 2020
I have an extensive medicolegal practice which I have been practicing since 2004 . My areas of special interest are in Urology including general urology( including benign prostate surgery) , with special reference to benign reconstruction including incontinence surgery , neurourology and spinal injuries, gender surgery and paediatric urology . I produce 50-60 reports per year . These cases are split as follows:
I have undertaken the following medicolegal courses:
Excellence in report writing
Clinical negligence essentials part 1 and 2
1. I am a national figure in sling incontinence surgery and widely lecture on this subject, both nationally and internationally. My clinical practice is now subspecialised, and about fifty percent is related to female urology (urinary incontinence and prolapse) and benign reconstruction including urogenital fistula, urethral diverticula and clam cystoplasty and gender reconstructive surgery. Much of my surgical practise is re-do incontinence and prolapse and gender surgery.
2. I run dedicated services in Single Stop Continence Clinics, standard and video - urodynamics, and ambulatory urodynamics. I run a full service for patients with interstitial cystitis, including inferential therapy and electromotive drug administration and botulinum Toxin therapy for refractory detrusor hyperactivity, and have trained in neuromodulation. Charing Cross Hospital is a national referral centre for Gender Reconstructive Surgery and I with another colleague provide this service.
I run a twice monthly all day female urology clinics, and a twice monthly paediatric urol ogy clinics and operating. I have a monthly combined female urology/urogynaecology clinic and operating lists. The unit participates in the regional North West Thames (NWT) pelvic MDT on a monthly basis and local unit MDT on a weekly basis. I partake in the twice monthly paediatric nephrourology meetings. I perform weekly gender reconstructive clinics and operating sessions for male to female gender affirmation surgery .
TEACHING AND TRAINING EXPERIENCE
Training Programme Director Urology South Thames (South West) 2006 – Present
1. Surgical Tutor Kingston Hospital February 2009 – July 2014
2. Director of Medical Education Kingston Hospital 2009 – 2012
3. Deputy Director of Medical Education London 2010 - 2012
4. Core Surgical Training Committee London February 2009 – September 2013
5. Specialist Advisory Committee in Urology 2009 -2016
6. British Association of Urological Surgeons Education Committee 2011 – 2020
7. London School of Surgery Committee Member
8. Royal Society of Medicine Urology Section Past Senior Secretary
9. National Association of Clinical Tutors Secretary April 2011 – April 2013
10. Secretary BAUS Section of Female Urology January 2010 – January 2013
11. Chairman BAUS Section of Female Urology January 2013 – January 2016
12. Chairman SAC Urology January 2016 – March 2019
British Association of Urological Surgeons
Royal Society of Medicine – Urology Section
British Medical Association
Royal College of Surgeons of England
British Association of Paediatric Urologists
British Association of Gender identity Specialists
United Kingdom Continence Society
International Continence Society
European Association of Urological Surgeons
Academy of Medical Experts
1. Flexible Cystoscopy in Men: Is topical anaesthesia with Lignocaine Gel worthwhile??
B Birch, R Morley, P Ratan, C Smart J Jenkins, J Cumming
British Journal of Urology 1994; (73): 155 – 159
2. Morphology of the Levator Ani muscle in patients with stress incontinence.
R Morley, J Cumming, R Weller. Neurourology and Urodynamics. 1994; 13(4); 377 –79
3. The social implications of lower urinary tract reconstruction performed during childhood. R Morley, E Williams, P Malone. ICCS Monograph Series 1. 1995; 167 –169
4. Pelvic floor neuropathy and surgical outcome in patients with stress incontinence
R Morley, J Cumming, R Weller. Neurourology and Urodynamics. 1995; 14(5):495 –97
5. Evaluation of functional multidrug resistance in primary urothelial cancer explants by confocal microscopy.
AJ Cooper, MC Hayes, PM Duffey, R Morley. SRS Oxford January 1996. BJS.1996; 83(5); 70
6. The Morphology and Neurophysiology of the pelvic floor in patients with stress incontinence.
R Morley, J Cumming, R Weller. Int Urogynecol J.1996; 7:31-35
7. Drug Induced Cystitis: The need for vigilence
R Morley, FJ Bramble. Br J Urol . 1997; 79: 3 –7
8. Iatrogenic Polydipsia: A rare cause of iatrogenic Polydipsia in Urology
EO Olaopa, R Morley, EKN Ahiaku, FJ Bramble Br J Urol 1997; 79: 488-489
9. Drug induced cystitis with Allopurinol – A case report
R Morley, FJ Bramble.Br J Urol . 1997; 79: 816 –817
10. The future of SUI management ... a shift in emphasis? Morley R.Health Serv J. 2004 Sep 16;114(5923):suppl 14-5 following 54.PMID: 15503910
11. Minimally invasive surgical techniques for stress incontinence surgery.
R Morley, J Nethercliffe. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol. 2005; 19(6): 925-40
12. Efficacy and complications of intradetrusor injection with botulinum toxin A in patients with refractory idiopathic detrusor overactivity.
Jeffery S. Fynes M. Lee F. Wang K. Williams L. Morley R. BJU Int. 100(6):1302-6, 2008
13. The Central Urology MDT- is it time to change the referral criteria?
Sooriakumaran P, Dick JA, Thompson AC, Morley R. Annals of the Royal College of
Surgeons of England 2009;91(8):700-2
14. Biomaterials in urinary Incontinence and treatment of their complications.
P Sangster,R Morley .Ind J Urol. 26(2).221-229.2010
15. A mutlticentre randomised control trial comparing Pelvicol, TVT and autologous fascial slings for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence in women.
Lucas M Morley R et al. BJOG. 2010. 117(12); 1493 - 502
16. British Association of Urological Surgeons’ Suprapubic catheter practice guidelines.
Simon C.W. Harrison. William T. Lawrence, Roland Morley, Ian Pearce, Joby Taylor. BJU International.107;1,77-85.2011
17. What patients think: patient-reported outcomes of retropubic versus trans-obturator mid-urethral slings for urodynamic stress incontinence-a multi-centre randomised controlled trial.
Robert Freeman, David Holmes, Timothy Hillard, Phillip Smith, Mark James, Abdul Sultan, Roland Morley, Qian Yang and Paul AbramsI nt Urogyn J 2011, Volume 22, Number 3, Pages 279-28
18.. Long-term follow-up of a multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing tension-free vaginal tape, xenograft and autologous fascial slings for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence in women. han ZA, Nambiar A, Morley R, Chapple CR, Emery SJ, Lucas MG.BJU Int. 2015 Jun;115(6):968-77. doi: 10.1111/bju.12851. Epub 2014 Oct 22.
19. Mesh removal after vaginal surgery: what happens in the UK? Duckett J, Morley R, Monga A, Hillard T, Robinson D.Int Urogynecol J. 2017 Jul;28(7):989-992. doi: 10.1007/s00192-016-3217-z. Epub 2016 Dec 6.PMID: 27924372
20. Long term follow up of a mutlticentre randomised control trial comparing Pelvicol, TVT and autologous fascial slings for the treatment of stress urinary incontinence in women. Lucas M, Morley R et al. BJUI 2015 Jun; 115(6): 968 – 969
21. Chapter: Oxford Texbook of Urology- Management of Prolapse.
R Morley et al 2018
22. Enormous mucocele following colonic graft neovagina formation in a transwoman. Brittain J, Dunford C, Miah S, Takhar M, Morley R, Rashid T.Urol Case Rep. 2018 Aug 31;21:73-74. doi: 10.1016/j.eucr.2018.08.014. eCollection 2018 Nov.PMID: 30234002
23. Clinical and Patient-reported Outcome Measures in Men Referred for Consideration of Surgery to Treat Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms: Baseline Results and Diagnostic Findings of the Urodynamics for Prostate Surgery Trial; Randomised Evaluation of Assessment Methods (UPSTREAM). Lewis A, Abrams P, Morley R et al Eur Urol Focus. .2019 May;5(3):340-350. doi: 10.1016/j.euf.2019.04.006. Epub 2019 Apr 30.
24. Surgical healthcare needs for transgender patients: surgeons' perspectives. Gresty H, Miah S, Morley R.Adv Med Educ Pract. 2019 Jan 25;10:43-45. doi: 10.2147/AMEP.S196987. eCollection 2019.PMID: 30774499
25. A Method to Evaluate Trainee Progression During Simulation Training at the Urology Simulation Boot Camp (USBC) Course. Kailavasan M, Hanchanale V, Rajpal S, Morley R, Mcllhenny C, Somani B, Nabi G, Gowda R, Jain S, Biyani CS, Myatt A.J Surg Educ. 2019 Jan-Feb;76(1):215-222. doi: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2018.06.020. Epub 2018 Aug 31.PMID: 30174146
26. Results of the British Association of Urological Surgeons female stress urinary incontinence procedures outcomes audit 2014-2017. Cashman S, Biers S, Greenwell T, Harding C, Morley R, Cooper D, Fowler S, Thiruchelvam N; BAUS Section of Female Neurological and Urodynamic Urology.BJU Int. 2019 Jan;123(1):149-159. doi: 10.1111/bju.14541. Epub 2018 Oct 19.
27. Transgender Issues in Assigned Male at Birth (AMAB) Individuals. Morley, I. Rashid T, Morley, R. Submitted and accepted
Married with 3 children
School Kent College, CANTERBURY
Medical School St. George's Hospital Medical School, LONDON, 1977-1982
Degrees and Diplomas MB BS 1982
FRCS (Eng) May 1989
FRCS (Urol) June 1997
Parkside Hospital, Wimbledon SW 19 (link)
Secretary/PA: Bolor Bajtugal
Tel: 020 3488 3325
Fax: 020 3004 1118